Things are going well. The team managed to bring in some new talent for little money. The older players are starting to take a back seat so some other guys can get a run. But its not forced!
Some guys we brought in are doing much better than expected. Lets recap the acquisitions:
- New Backup QB Benji Ambrose - When we changed the role of the QB in our scheme, his potential shot up to 91. Hes not ready to get gametime yet, and likely wont be for at least another year. Hes a solid developmental guy, but he has a bum leg. His health is one of the lowest on the team from some preexisting injuries. We took him as a UDFA so there is little risk. We need to get a trainer with a rehab program to offset that.
- Pair of new HBs, James and Russell - Russel is a 3rd back, just a big guy to take some carries in a pinch. James on the other hand has HOF potential. A 97 potential. Turns negative runs into positive runs. If this team could block, we would be a top 10 running team easy.
- Two new WRs Bellows and Lane. Bellows is the guy I took a flyer on. Another 97 potential guy. Hes stepping into his role very well making some big plays. Lane is a guy the GM brought in for a camp body. The guy kept making plays. Kept him as the 6th WR, which I normally don't even think about keeping. 94 potential. Hes still buried behind Moss, Bellows, Thomas, The Comb, and ARE. Next year we will offload ARE so we will only carry 5 barring another stellar find.
- Couple of linemen. LT Rico Hutchinson and RT Tra Chapman. Right now both are just depth across the line. Next year Chapman will be the starting RT because he has a 94 potential. To be honest, the line is kind of struggling in run blocking. Big Randy's health is a concern, hes missing practice for health concerns. Rabach isnt doing anything in the game. Samuels health isnt great either. I passed up some linemen in the last draft. This upcoming draft is just ok on linemen so I will have to keep an eye on the waiver wire, FA outlook, and the draft for options. Realistically I have starting quality LG and RT for the next 3-5 years barring injury. Three other spots need filling. This is a concern.
- CALAIS CAMPBELL - He must have gotten into it with the HC in Zona because this dude was a free agent. Hes a starting level maybe pro bowl level player who is in his 2nd year. I made the move and hes locked up for 5 years on the end. The other end spot needs work. Carter's health is really poor. He will not be able to finish games this year.
- Pair of new DTs - Lopez is the top guy. Good to see your hunch pay off. On the other hand Burke is just a rotational guy. Not a wasted pick but I thought he was going to be the steal of the draft. Win some lose some.
- Knox at LOLB and hes a solid starter, nuff said.
- Riley and Moe Johnson at Corner. Both are starting level guys, Riley has 95 potential so he could be the man for a decade. I traded Carlos Rogers for some mid round picks. Meh.
- Prince Justin is a solid starter, not much more too it.
- The punter I took was solid too.
So here are the starters I have that are 28 or younger. QB, (HB), FB, WR, TE, LG, (RT), RE, DT, LOLB, ROLB, CB, FS, SS.
On top of that we are 6-1 so its going well. There are some health problems, but if it holds together we will be a badass deep young team a la superbowl year Seattle.